BIBB COUNTY LIVING
BIBB COUNTY IS THE PLACE TO CALL HOME
In the decision-making process to move here personally or locate your business to Bibb County, it’s mission-critical to know more about this community and why we say Bibb County is the place to call home. Our hope is through this page — and through our welcome packets we offer to businesses and families looking to relocate — we can answer some of your most pressing questions. When you see all this county has to offer, you’ll understand why we are so proud of what we have to offer and how we plan to grow into the future.
What do I need to know about Bibb County?
- Bibb County has a long and storied history in the state of Alabama. Cahawba County — the first name for Bibb County — was established on February 7, 1818 and was renamed to Bibb County — to honor Alabama’s first governor — in 1820.
- Bibb County has always been rich in natural resources such as ore, coal, clay and timber and set itself apart — first with iron production in the early 1800s —with booms in the lumber and coal mining industries in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
- Brent is the largest city in Bibb County, with 4,900 out of the total 22,600 population for the county (21.7%). Centreville is the second largest city, with 2,700 residents (12%).
- Bibb County is centrally located in the state — with the cities of Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and Montgomery being within a 75-mile radius of the county.
- The majority of Bibb County’s hard-working residents focus on manufacturing industries, educational services and healthcare. The vast majority have a minimum of a high-school diploma and 12 percent of residents have at least a bachelor’s degree.
- Some of the major employers in Bibb County include:
* Burkes Mechanical, Inc.
* Bibb County Board of Education
* Alabama Department of Corrections
* Bibb Medical Center
* Wal-Mart Stores
* Cahaba Veneer, Inc.
* Bibb County Commission
* Cahaba Timber Company
* Tri-Wil, Inc.
* Randolph & Randolph
- Bibb County has a state-licensed airport in Centreville and is within 75 miles of the Birmingham International Airport.
- There are currently 10 public schools in the Bibb County School System.
- The school system serves 3,500 students and employs 240 teachers and administrators.
- According to the Bibb County School District’s Strategic plan, their vision is to: produce lifelong learners and empower tomorrow’s leaders.
- The Bibb County School system believes:
* Providing a quality education for our students is the greatest investment for the future of Bibb County.
* Each individual will have equal opportunity and resources to learn so that his or her maximum potential can be reached.
* Every child will be educated in a safe environment where self-worth, diversity and integrity are respected daily.
* All students should have exposure to creative and performing arts, and career exploration.
* A positive partnership between a student’s family and his/her school is an important factor in the success of the student.
* Success requires a shared responsibility among teachers, students, parents, and the community.
* Successful learning experiences require positive relationships based on trust, respect, collegiality, and honest communication throughout the community.
- There are also two private schools in the county: Cahawba Christian Academy and McCully Hill Christian School.